Mike's open projects include:
* Design-thinking workshop at PRNDI Conference
* Working with Capital Public Radio on a long range strategic plan
* NPR Next Generation bootcamp at University of Nevada, Reno, School of Journalism
* MVM/UNR/USC Survey of Local Public Media Newsrooms
* Presenting a Strategic Planning Workshop for News Directors at PRNDI Conference 2013
* Updating the Public Radio News Directors Guide for PRNDI
* Developing a Proposal for Innovation Laboratories at Local NPR Stations
Mike has finished working on:
* Established a university-professional media partnership in Reno: The Nevada Media Alliance between UNR, KUNR, KNPB and RGJ Newspaper
Visiting professor of ethics/innovation Reynolds School of Journalism, University of Nevada, Reno
* Academic presentation, "Reaching for the NPR Star: Attributes of Local NPR Station Newsrooms," to the What is Radio Conference at Univ of Oregon, Portland
* Academic presentation, "Window on Change: Emerging Attributes of Local Public Media Newsrooms," to the Broadcast Educators Association at NAB Conference in Las Vegas
* Academic paper, "Return of Voluntary Media Ethics in the Network Era," to the Western States Communication Association conference in Reno
* Reviewing applications for CPB funding
* Producing a local news plan for public radio station KCBX
* Moderator, "Journalism in the Digital Age," at 2012 Public Radio Programming Conference, Las Vegas
* Iowa Public Radio Newsroom Training Project
* Advising Arabella Advisors on philanthropic opportunities in local public media.
* Marketing and Business Planning for Indie-Edit, a premium editing service for public radio journalists.
* News Director Recruitment for KERA, North Texas Public Media, Dallas.
* Ethics Presentation, "Public Media Ethics Never Log Off," at PRNDI Conference, Houston, June 2012.
* Article for Current (Newspaper for U.S. Public Radio & Television) on Local Newsroom Weight Classifications
* Writer/Facilitator for "Public Media Ethics Never Log Off: Guidelines for Public Media Employees in the Off-Hour Activities" (PM Integrity Project Paper #6)
* Rapporteur for the Public Media Integrity meeting in Madison, WI.
* A Proposal with J-Lab to Evaluate 7 U.S. "Local Journalism Centers" for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
* A Knight Journalism Fellowship at Stanford University. Project Focus: "Rewriting the NPR News Station Playbook." September 2010-June 2011.
*Presenting to The Media Coalition, "Innovation Labs in Public Media News," May 2011.
*Presenter, Palo Alto Rotary Club, "Changing Face of NPR News," April 2011.
*Judging awards for Public Radio News Directors, Winter 2011.
*Facilitating a "Digital Strategy Retreat" for Capital Public Radio in Sacramento, March 2011.
* Roundtable Presenter for Aspen Institute on "Rethinking Public Media: More Local, More Inclusive, More Interactive," December 2010.
* Facilitator for Editors Retreat, KQED, San Francisco. November 2010.
*A Census of Journalists in Public Radio and Television For the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Summer 2010
* Critique Panel, Aspen Institute, White Paper on Public Media, Summer 2010.
* Team Planning for the 2010 Public Radio Programming Conference
* Multimedia Training Workshop for PRNDI
* Ethical Case Studies Session for News Directors
* Regional Reporter Training by PRNDI in Louisville, KY
* Judging for the Charles E. Green Journalism Awards
*Judging for the Public Radio News Directors Awards
* Writing and submitting a client proposal to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's "Strengthening Local Journalism" RFP
* Planning a Training Program for the CPB-funded "Local Journalism Center" -- The Plains Stations
* Planning news training and regional sharing for WSKG
* The Website and marketing for Advanced Psychiatric Care
* Reviewing "American Voices" for the Ken Mills Agency
* Northeastern Regional Reporter Training by PRNDI
* Western Regional Reporter Training by PRNDI
* Providing assessment and individualized training plans for the news/talk staff of Iowa Public Radio
* Spot news coverage of Santa Barbara wildfires for NPR
* Launching The Public Radio News Director's Guide for NPR and the Local News Initiative, presented by PRNDI
* Management Workshop for Southern Stations Sponsored by NPR's Local News Initiative
* Content Track Planning for IMA's 2009 Public Media Conference in Atlanta. Session Title: "The New News Model"
* Managing Editor for NPR's Next Generation Project at the "College Media Conference" in Kansas City, October 2008
* "The Four Tiers" -- a workshop for PRNDI Conference 2008
* "Improving Your Delivery" -- a workshop for PRNDI 2008
* Serving as the News Curator for PRX (Public Radio Exchange)
* Health Dialogues Program Assessment for KQED, San Francisco
* Midwestern Regional Reporter Training by PRNDI NewsWorks
* Southern Regional Reporter Training by PRNDI NewsWorks
* Radio News Standards and Practices Training for Broadcasters at Free North Korea, Open Radio and Radio Free Chosun -- all based in Seoul, South Korea (funded by NED (National Endowment for Democracy)
* News Evaluation for KTOO, Juneau, Alaska
* Planning and Moderating the "One Staff, Many Platforms" session at 2008 Public Media Conference in Los Angeles (Sponsored by the Integrated Media Association)